Do you want to create your personal website or blog site, but you don't have the budget for it? In this tutorial, I will show you how to have your own website for FREE; you don't need to spend a lot of money for web hosting, domain name and SSL (for website security). Just take note of the web links below and follow the instructions to start creating your website.
Free Unlimited Web Hosting
For Unlimited Web Hosting, go to Infinityfree.net and sign up for a free account.
- Click Client Area, then below login, you can find the Sign-up link.
- In creating an account, a valid email address and a password are needed.
- Check your email to verify the created account.
- In the Hosting Account section of InfinityFree, click the Create Account button.
- You will proceed to the Create a New Hosting Account page. In Step 1, there are 2 Domain Types; you must choose between Subdomain or Custom Domain. If you don't have your own domain, choose Subdomain instead.
- Since this web hosting site is free, they offer their own domain extensions, as you can see below.
- Now create your sub-domain, type your desired name for your site, choose any domain extension on the dropdown list, then click Search Domain.
Note: If you want to choose the Custom Domain option, proceed to the Free Domain topic below.
- In Step 2, you need to Enter additional information such as Account Label (description for your site), Account Username (automatically generated) and Account Password. These Account details will be used when logging in to your Hosting Account. Next, click Create Account.
- Your hosting account has now been created. You can now start building or uploading your website using the CPanel. Access this by clicking the Manage > Control Panel. Enjoy!
For Domain Name, go to Freenom.com to access the list of free domains. You can use their free domains such as .TK /.ML /.GA /.CF /.GQ up to 1 year and renewal is also available.
- You don't need to create an account because Signing in using Google is available for this site, click that button, and you will automatically sign in to Freenom.
- Under the Services menu, click Create a New Domain.
- The Domain Checker page will open. On the Find your new Domain text field, type your desire website name followed by .tk, .ml, .ga, .cf or .gq. Ex: xjayzier.gq. Click Check Availability to check if you can use that domain.
- The next window will show you if the domain name is available. You will notice that the price is USD 0.00 because it is completely free. To proceed, click Checkout.
- Set the Period to 12 months @ Free so you can use this domain for 1 year, and you're allowed to renew the domain if the period is going to expire.
- Click Use DNS and under Use your own DNS tab, enter the nameservers. Since we are using Infinityfree as our web hosting, type their nameservers as below. Then click Continue.
- On the Review and Checkout window, put a check box on Terms and Conditions, then click Complete Order. Like I have said before, This is completely FREE.
Note: On your infinity free web hosting account, if you choose Custom Domain as your Domain Name in Step 1, enter your created domain name from Freenom and click Search Domain. There should be a notification showing that the Domain is available. After that, you can now proceed to the Step 2 process as stated in Free Unlimited Web Hosting.
- Test your Domain that you have created on Freenom by typing it into your web browser. It is working if the website you have created from Infinityfree will display.
Free SSL Certificate for Website Security
Some of the Free Web Hosting today doesn't offer free SSL Certificates for website security, so there is a big chance that your website will be hacked. It is required for us to configure the SSL to keep an internet connection secure and safeguard any sensitive data that is being sent between two systems, preventing criminals from reading and modifying any information transferred, including potential personal details. (Source: DigiCert)
How to know if your website is secured with SSL?
Your website is not secured when there is a "Not Secured" notification or padlock logo with a red slash showing beside the URL link of your site. Unsecured website's URL begins with http://.
Most of the websites today use SSL so you will notice that their website URL begins with https:// with a green padlock saying secure, this is due to they are using an SSL certificate.
How to secure a website using a free SSL certificate from Cloudflare?
To get an SSL certificate, go to Cloudflare and sign up for a free account. The configuration below is for Custom Domain so you need to get a free domain first on Freenom.com before proceeding. You can also configure a free SSL certificate to a Sub-domain but that is not covered in this tutorial.
- Sign up for an account using a valid email address and a password.
- Check your email to verify your created account.
"Update is still in progress.. Stay tuned!"